Natural black dye for fabric
After recording the dried out body weight of textile, wet it in hot or warm water.
STEP We: TANNIN
4 ounces tannic acid per lb of fibre (dried out body weight)
- Heat the answer to more or less 200 F.
- Remove from heat.
- Enter the silk (or any other textile) which has been completely wet call at cozy to warm water.
- Set to soak for about 24 hours, stirring sometimes.
2 to 4 ounces Ferrous Sulphate (iron) per lb of fibre
Make use of the lower quantity for good silk yarn and smooth wools. Utilize the better amount for crazy silk along with other fibers.
- Break down the metal in warm water.
- Immerse fibre in a mild soap option about a quarter-hour to neutralize the acid when you look at the tannin (which counters the consequence of the iron).
- Add textile to warm iron solution and soak for about 20 minutes.
- Remove fibre from metal answer, wring excess option from dietary fiber, and hang to air 20 minutes to at least one hour.
- Save this metal bathtub for ACTION IV.
ACTION III: LOGWOOD - FUSTIC
12 oz. to at least one lb. of logwood shavings per lb of textile.
2 oz. fusticwood per lb of dietary fiber
- Herb the fusticwood twice*. Fustic yellow neutralizes the blue tone associated with the straight logwood.
- Submerge the heat as well as heat to simply below the boiling-point for about two hours, around right through the day and sometimes even all night.
- Allow textile cool within the dyebath.
- Save this "Black Liquor" to be utilized next time you dye black. Simply stress off any mildew or slime that'll develop and add even more dye depending on the recipe.
- Return fiber to room-temperature iron bath.
- Let immerse instantaneously.
- Hang to environment overnight or through to the material begins to dry.
Now, if you should be happy with the depth for the colour, rinse the dietary fiber through to the rinse water is barely tinted because of the dye, hang to dried out and enjoy!
If fiber cannot look totally black at this time, repeat actions III and IV until desired colour is acheived.
TIP: when you yourself have acidic liquid, try including a bit of ammonia to the logwood dyebath to acheive a deeper black colored.
Both the logwood dyebath as well as the metal shower is conserved and used again indefinitely. Believe about 25per cent of dyes and mordants continue to be within the baths whenever determining simply how much logwood, fustic, and metal to include for the next group.
*To Extract Dyewoods:
1) Place shavings in water, about 3 times the volume.
2) provide a boil.
3) Cover and boil 20 moments.