By Christopher Hayes, specialized Aerospace Services, & drew Wallace, MarkForged
Henry Ford is known to possess said, “any customer might have an automobile painted any shade they desire as long as it's black colored.” Ford fundamentally offered vehicles in many more colors as soon as production ramped up.
MarkForged is on the same trajectory – the Mark One is just like revolutionary given that Model T. You may also have parts in just about any shade you love, so long as it’s white, offset by the colour of any composites embedded when you look at the component.
There are four-color combinations available from the nozzle:
- White: plastic without any composite support
- White and Gold: Nylon strengthened by Kevlar®
- White and White: Nylon reinforced by Fiberglass
- White and Black: Nylon strengthened by Carbon Fiber
These color combinations are superb for quick prototypes and mechanically useful components, but might restricting for producing finished items and customer facing products.
There's a straightforward way to this dilemma, dye.
Nylon’s Material Properties Succeed Very Easy To Color
Nylon is hygroscopic; plastic will readily absorb liquid through the atmosphere or direct contact. This is the reason the Mark One plastic material is stored in the dry box with a humectant.
In the event the plastic gets wet before you decide to print it will trigger some issues. If it gets wet after you print it could produce some beneficial modifications. Submersion in water will forever boost mobility and reduce brittleness and stiffness. Include a water soluble dye and it surely will in addition forever replace the part’s shade.
For greater results dyeing with light colors make use of extra walls/floor, thicker ceiling and further dye time. Light colors and thin wall space leaves the constant carbon dietary fiber visible after dying, as shown in the HALO Wallet:
1. Soak components in almost boiling-water for 30-60 min. Utilize doubled Ziploc bags to avoid leakage. Wear proper personal protection equipment, like pot holders, while dealing with the heated water.
2. Transfer the parts to brand new internal case of near boiling-water + dye at 5:1 combination ratio. Fold case over dining table side to eliminate air and seal inner case, then agitate the mixture.