Dying patterned fabric
Dyeing and overdyeing materials is enjoyable, nevertheless some time materials included may be overwhelming. Luckily, there’s an enjoyable and easy method to modify your favorite print materials utilizing something that is most likely currently in your washing cabinet (or at the very least readily-available at your neighborhood supermarket).
Bleach release is simple. Fabric is wet in a water and bleach bathtub for a period of time, when the bleach into the liquid may discharge (eliminate or change) a number of the dye in the fabric.
All textiles don’t discharge in the same manner. Actually, some won’t release whatsoever, which explains why I was thinking of this project as a research – I moved directly into it not really once you understand the thing that was probably occur to my material!
Several notes before we get started:
This really is an extremely basic run-through of the way I changed fabric using only bleach and water. Although used to don’t concern yourself with this inside my research, textile which has been subjected to large concentrations of bleach for long times could become damaged. Severe dyers and material performers have a variety of means of arresting the activity of bleach on textile. If you’re enthusiastic about reading more on this topic, i would recommend Malka Dubrawsky’s exemplary book.
Bleach is toxic and it will destroy your clothing, carpet, etc. If you attempt this task home, wear old clothing, keep a large towel within workshop, and don’t usage any bins or measuring resources which you ordinarily use for food.
Here’s the things I did:
I desired to see a “before and after” swatch of each of my fabrics, so I started by cutting 2 squares about 9” x 9” from of each of my textiles. We elected quilting materials in a rainbow of colors, including some neutrals.
Then I filled an empty storage tub and prepared a bath of 3 gallons warm water and 3 cups bleach. One by one, I added the fabric squares, using a plastic spoon to ensure that each piece was completely wet and submerged.
We let the textile soak in bleach bath for about five full minutes, stirring sometimes. At that point, a few of the textile had already discharged a great deal, many of it seemed exactly the same. I removed the material that has been already clearly various and rinsed it inside sink.
This technique had been repeated over the next 10 minutes roughly. We proceeded to stir sporadically and also to pull fabric that were ready. After fifteen minutes, several of the simple materials however didn’t look dissimilar to me, but I didn’t want to keep all of them within the shower any longer.
we washed most of the material in a gentle device cycle with hot-water and machine dried them on reasonable.
Two of the fabrics didn’t seem to have discharged at all. The “before” and “after” seemed literally the exact same.
A number of the textiles discharged a little bit, although change had been so discreet that i truly had to turn to see it.
Happily, the majority of the materials that had been into the dye bathtub looked considerably various. (Click on image to see a larger version.)
Below are a few pre and post shots. (Fabric which has had not already been released is on the left. Fabric that spent time in the bleach bath is on the right.)
Incorporating the “before” and “after” materials into patchwork obstructs could be lots of fun. Here are a few easy hourglass blocks that I made out of several of my fabric.
On the whole, i believe the research ended up being profitable. It was enjoyable to understand images change and to start thinking about other ways that discharged fabric could possibly be made use of.
Thanks a great deal for joining us for few days of images! Stay tuned in for more of 100 times of contemporary Quilting.