Hand dyes with wax
In the last couple of years We have actually enjoyed experimenting with material dyeing. I played around with wax-resist dyeing using Malka Dubrawsky's Color Your fabric, and also have very nearly exclusively worked with Procion MX cold-water dyes. There are a lot of advantages to this sort of dyeing: the colors tend to be pretty true, extremely vibrant, as well as. There are a lot of drawbacks too. They've been pricey, harmful, therefore the process takes about 8 hours plus setup and clean.
2-3 weeks ago I wanted to see just what i really could do about finding alternative dyeing and resist techniques to succeed more accessible. It absolutely was fun to test and view the things I could come up with! These strategies utilize RIT dye, as they aren't a genuine alternative to others method, however they are outstanding starting point if you should be thinking about learning to dye material!The advantages of making use of RIT dye: it really is cheap, easily available, less time consuming and safe (see their protection information here). The drawbacks: It is harder to obtain vibrant colors.
ProductsWith this fundamental dyeing, everything you need can easily be found at your local food store and craft shop. Whilst the RIT dye is pretty safe, it is in addition crucial to designate these tools for dyeing with no much longer utilize them for meals merely to be safe. You may need:
Fabric to dye: For RIT dye it is in addition crucial to make use of 100per cent cotton fiber fabric. It can be used to color synthetic fabrics, youwill get better results staying with natural fibers. Fabrics which are white-on-white prints look really cool when colored because typically the printing remains white! Pre-wash and dry all fabrics before dyeing. If you're dyeing immediately after cleansing it is possible to miss drying out.
Liquid RIT dye: The liquid variation now is easier to use for this procedure and it may be utilized several times since you wont need a lot.
Salt: simple table salt, maybe not iodized.
Soda Ash: here is the dye fixer. It can be discovered utilizing the tie-dye products and dyes at most craft shops. It is Sodium Carbonate, and is additionally accustomed enhance the PH degree in swimming pools, so it can often be found with pool products in large volumes.
Rubber Gloves: I just use a set of regular cooking area meal gloves.
Synthetic pots: I make my dye bathrooms in big empty yogurt bins, cheap plastic pitchers or plastic dish tubs.
Measuring cups & spoons: we obtained a set of each in the dollar store.
Stirring spoon: a plastic spoon for stirring.
Fundamental Dyeing ApproachOkay, given that we've our products, why don't we explore the basics of dyeing. The guidelines tend to be for a fat quarter, but a table with conversion rates for any other amounts normally provided. I'd recommend using an apron or "art garments" if you pour some dye. I love to do my dyeing either in a bathtub or sink for simple clean.
1. Fill your dye bathtub container with 1 quart of heated water.
2. Placed 2 Tablespoons of salt within the water, stir until dissolved.
3. Carefully measure completely 2 Tablespoons Liquid RIT to the salt water, blend.
4. In another container, wet fat one-fourth (or 1/4 lawn) of material. Squeeze out excess liquid.
5. Put material in the dye. Stir constantly the first 5 minutes or so to ensure even protection. Keep in bathtub for half an hour, stirring every five minutes..
6. After 30 minutes, carefully eliminate material from dye bath. Include 1 Tablespoon of Soda Ash towards dye bathtub. Blend until mixed.
7. Add fabric back into the dye bath, stirring for several minutes. Keep in bathtub for half an hour to at least one hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
8. Remove fabric from dye bathtub, dump dye down the strain.
9. Rinse out textile, you start with cold-water, after that tepid to warm water, after that hot water before the water operates clear.
10. Clean usually with detergent on warm/cold. If I've colored a dark purple and a light yellow I'll often do two different loads, usually I put multiple colors together. Add 1/2 cup salt into the washer (in liquid for top level running, with detergent for front loading) in reducing hemorrhaging. Dry or eliminate from washer and hit with a hot metal.I calculated these amounts according to earlier dyeing experience additionally the guidelines in the RIT bottle. Fat quarters is substituted for yardage.
RIT has actually a colors Formula Tool on their website that helps you develop as much as 500 various colors by combining different RIT dyes. Personally, i enjoy simply wing it, but it could be a great starting point for those who have a certain color in your mind.Doubling the dye quantities (as advised by RIT for bright colors) Made a pretty obvious difference because of this red shade. Doubling the dye quantities couldn't make a noticeable distinction when I was wanting to attain a true red (I used cherry-red). You'll have to experiment too!
Alternative Resist MethodsThe most frequent dye resist strategy utilizes wax, the exact same procedure that can be used to produce Batik materials. Wax is applied to the fabric before dyeing, and also the wax keeps that portion of the material un-dyed. Making use of wax produces beautiful results (shown in the picture above), however it is messy and will be difficult to pull following the dyeing procedure. I experimented with several various other ways to see if I could get similar outcomes.
For all of the practices we applied the resist to dry textile before dyeing. Allow the resist dried out if need-be then dye with the guidelines outlined in the beginning with this post.1. Hot Glue: this is a long shot! In a few places it worked fine, however for the essential part it couldn't stick really towards textile and started initially to come-off as soon as it hit the water. It is also bad it didn't work, it was super easy to put on and dried out rapidly. Peel from the lime after dyeing and washing.
2. Crayons: I am wondering how much wax is in standard crayons, since this was the worst strategy I tried. We utilized a white crayon to attract from the material and it is scarcely even noticeable. I needed to use these wax-resist sticks but cannot see them in your area. They might be worth a try, but standard crayons aren't! Crayon comes down in clean.
3. Elmer's class Glue Gel: This undoubtedly worked the best of the 3 practices I tried. It absolutely was quite constant in addition to answers are pretty like what you can achieve with wax. We used it quite thickly onto the material, which took all the day to dry. I'd suggest applying it and allowing it to dry instantaneously. It worked well being squeezed on the material and dipping an instrument into it and stamping. This is certainly a great resist to use! Elmer's Glue comes down into the wash.Both materials shown above were generating using Elmer's School Glue Gel. When it comes to Purple textile I squeezed the glue directly on the textile, producing a shape with simple outlines. The orange material, we poured glue into a little dish and dipped a cardboard wc paper roll into it and stamped it onto the fabric, twisting it quite in the textile to get more glue onto it. Both techniques offered good results!
Don't hang it to dried out unless you wish drip markings! Dry level.There are many even more methods let me decide to try with this particular type of dyeing along with the using chilled water dyes come early july. I'm going to be certain to do an update if they are successful!
For textiles above I used the following dyes (purple, green, and orange were created by mixing): Cherry Red, Fuchsia, Petal Pink, Lemon Yellow, Aquamarine, and Teal.I hope that this post was helpful! I understand that dyeing are scary but it's truly a lot of enjoyment! If you should be contemplating utilizing Procion MX dyes or wax-resist dyeing, We suggest Malka Dubrawsky's Color Your Cloth! All materials when you look at the above image had been colored using Procion MX cold water dyes!